Do you know that something as easy as jotting down a page or two in the early hours of the day can help you experience the magical health benefits of writing?
Writing first thing in the morning is a great practice that can change you as a person, and your other areas in life. But it has a positive influence on your health too.
Here’s why in a nutshell:
– simplicity: the real power lies in the simplest of things. It’s just that people tend to complicate them;
– habit: being consistent in something creates the chains of a habit and that is stronger than any other behavior. It makes you more disciplined, you start thinking more rationally and make sacrifices in order to stick to the habit;
– morning: morning pages are done in the best and most magical and productive time of the day, which makes them even more helpful;
– writing: another element that makes this simple practice so successful. The process of writing itself is healing, relaxing, inspiring and creative.
Here are the health benefits of writing in the morning:
The 7 Health Benefits of Writing
1. You reduce stress.
You can complain to the morning pages about everything that bothers you. This way you let your negative energy out and are more relaxed and calm during the whole day.
2. You empty your mind.
One of the reasons why we’re not in a great condition is because our minds are always full of so many unnecessary thoughts – all our plans, things we want to do, what happened yesterday, what others are thinking and saying, and basically every little issue is stuck in our head and prevents us from being present and enjoying the moment.
But that can be solved by letting it all out by putting pen to paper.
Once we write it down, we’re ready to embrace the new day with clarity. And to thus take smarter decisions, stay focused and be more productive.
3. Less anxiety.
In time you become less nervous in general. Another one of the health benefits of writing in a journal.
4. It makes you happier.
Putting your dreams in writing is quite encouraging and optimistic, and listing positive affirmations and why today is going to be a great day makes you feel great and make the best of it.
5. It leads to better thinking.
Morning pages make you use both the left side of your brain (the rational one) and the right one (where creativity is).
When combined, you brain becomes more powerful and you generate ideas, think of ways to solve your problems in life, organize the thoughts in your head, start understanding yourself and the world better.
6. You sleep better.
The clearer mind, deep realizations, inspiration and awareness that the morning pages bring help you sleep better at night too.
7. You improve your memory.
By writing about your thoughts, assessing the previous day and your life in general, sharing your fears and worries and planning out your day, you work on improving your memory. Soon you’ll be able to focus better and won’t be forgetting stuff.
So if you haven’t been doing this exercise yet, now you know why you should give it a try.
Full-time freelance writer. Lifestyle designer.
Latest posts by Lidiya K (see all)
- 3 Simple Strategies That Can Make Your Business More Successful - December 7, 2016
- Real-World Advice for Young Entrepreneurs - December 7, 2016
- Live Your Destiny: 3 Ways to Find Your Life Purpose - December 6, 2016